Role-playing games have been around for over three decades. During that time, there have been a horde of great RPGs for the PC. Here is a list of five of the
– Only one game per title series may be included – The game must be an RPG – The game must be available for the PC – The game must not be an MMORPG
– Fable was released in 2006 and published by Microsoft. The game received critical acclaim even before its release. The game ended up selling over two million copies in its first two years and was the top selling game upon its release. There were also follow-up games that Fable spawned, one of which included Fable 2.
– Final Fantasy VII has been credited as the game which helped console role-playing games find a market outside of Japan. Although it was a very successful console game, it also was one of the most successful PC RPGs ever. The Final Fantasy series is one of the most popular RPG series ever, possibly the greatest. And Final Fantasy VII is the best of the best.
– This is the third installment of the Elder Scroll series which was released in 2002. Morrowind received very high review scores upon release. It has spawned multiple expansions and follow-up games.
– This RPG was one of the highest scoring RPGs by reviewers ever. It is set in, arguably, the most well-known space opera or sci-fi setting ever, Star Wars. But the setting was a newer setting developed at the time of its release. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic won numerous awards, including Game of the Year, Best Console RPG, and Best Computer RPG from multiple reviewers. BioWare and LucasArts are currently creating an MMORPG based off of the game series called, Star Wars: The Old Republic.
– This action role-playing game was released by Bethesda Game Studios to rave reviews. It sold over 610,000 units during its first months of release, making it one of the most successful RPG releases ever. It won numerous awards during its release, including Game of the Year, Best PC Game, Best RPG, Best Xbox 360 Game, and many more.
There are numerous other PC RPGs that could have made the list. Some of the games that came close to making the cut are Diablo, Neverwinter Nights, Baldur’s Gate, Planescape: Torment, and Might & Magic 6: The Mandate of Heaven. There are definitely many other games that could have made this list. Even within the games that were chosen there are several other great choices in the series. But this is a pretty solid list of the